Another high school drama has given me reason to giggle and wail in each episodes and this drama goes to "Sassy Go Go” or “Cheer Up!”. A 2015 South Korean television series on KBS, starring Jung Eun-ji, Lee Won-keun, Cha Hak-yeon, Ji-soo and Chae Soo-bin. This drama showed the typical scenario of elite and non-elite students in Korean high school drama. The scenario surrounds between "BAEK HO" club consist's of the school's top ranking students Kim Yeol (Lee Won-geun), Kwon Soo Ah (Chae Soo-bin) and Seo Ha Joon (Ji Soo) and "REAL KING Dance" club! consist's of Kang Yeon Doo (Jung Eun-ji) the leader, Min Hyo-Sik (Kim Min-ho), Park Da-Mi (Kang Min-ah), Kim Kyung-Eun (Park Yoo-na), Joon-Soo (Ooon) and Cha Seung-Woo (Son Beom-jun).
Real King member really don't consider studying us there first priority while in school, instead they spend too much of their time dancing. Which rift disturbance to Baek Ho club and hence, they end up arguing and fighting each other. Unfortunately Real King would always take the blame! Thanks to Baek Ho's financially well off status in the school and society.
- Jung Eun-ji as Kang Yeon-doo is "Real King's" leader. She placed number 196th out of 200 students in their school. I really loved how Eun-ji played her character Yeon-doo so well. She's more than enough reason for me to keep on watching it till the very end. She made me laugh and cry. I love her character in the drama as she brings a whole level of charisma to it. And she showed us the importance and value of true meaning of friendship.
- Lee Won-keun as Kim-yeol the arrogant President of "Baek Ho" club and the topnotch student of Sevit High. His wit and cleverness allows him to see through the tactics of the scheming adults around him as he exposes them. His very naughty and always joke around with Yeon-do.
- Cha Hak-yeon as Ha Dong-jae is Yeon-doo's childhood friend and one of her best friends at Sevit High. He is a talented basketball player but due to a traumatic childhood experience (which involves in hurting Yeon-doo), he developed a physical contact phobia. He was being kicked out of the basketball team and later joined the cheerleading club to look after Yeon-doo.
- Ji-soo as Seo Ha-joon is Kim Yeol's best friend. He is being abuse by her abusive father who constantly bet him to death, especially when he is unable to meet up this father high expectations. At one time he decided to commit suicide because he can no longer bear this father mistreatment. He is also part of Baek Ho club. Ha Joon has officially taken my heart melt and I am so in love with his character. The tough guy with anger management issue is soft hearted.
- Chae Soo-bin as Kwon Soo-ah is Yeon-doo's former friend, who is Baek Ho's second top student in Sevit High. Because of her mother's persistent pressure for her to become first place in school so she could get in at Ivy League university. She did everything she could to bet Kim Yeol, even to the point of using her own friend for her own benefits. It was her mothers idea to organize a "Cheerleading" club at Sevit, to add more academic records on her profile in applying for University.
REAL KING and BAEK HO were team as one for the sake of Soo-ah's greedy need for academic points. It was like a mission impossible for them to be together, but as the story progress this two ununited group become united and one. They learned to accept each others flaws and talents. Although Soo-ah was still a bitch but the other member of the club learned to understands her, especially the main cast. Through this club Yeon-doo and Kim Yoel develop and nurture their feelings towards each other. Ha-joon on the other hand became close to Yeon-doo and realize he was falling in love with his best friend, girl friend.
- Kang Yeon-doo Mother and Kim Yeol's father were lovers and plans to get married.
- Kwon Soo-ah stole his teacher USB and cheat during the exam and put Kim Yeol to blame in stealing the USB. She also manipulate her classmates to set-up teacher Yang Tae-bum (Kim Ji-seok) for harassment. Because of her jealousy towards Yeon-doo and teacher Tae-bum closeness.
- Kim Yeol is the person who gives Soo-ah warnings through sticky notes, to confess her crimes.
Some of my Favorite Highlights in no particular order :)
- When Kim Yeol and Yeon-doo were under the blanket and they are super close (as in super close!!!). And Kim Yeol's No. 3 choices to Yeon-doo is way too cute and funny.
- Kim Yeol and Yeon-doo were dancing at the supermarket were really cute.
- During camping when both BAEK HO club and REAL KING club members play a game to get to know each other and Kim yeol stares at Yeon-doo while talking about the girl he wants to kiss. Yay! giggling overload!
- I liked how Coach Nam (Lee Mi-Do) took the initiative to help the students to get back to the dorm without being caught by the principal and teacher Im Soo-Yong (In Gyo-Jin) who was outside school premises. It was so refreshing and funny seeing Coach Nam tries her best to showed to them her new cheer-leading steps and routines. What so amazing about Coach Nam is she did not only teach them physical strength but make them understand the values about real cheer leading, which is team work and unity as a group.
- Teacher Tae-bum took up the responsibility of committing a crime he didn’t commit for the sake of his student was really touching and admirable which made it to my personal favorite highlights for this drama.
- When Soo-ah was trying to commit suicide, Dong-jae save her by grabbing his hand, and from that moment on his physical contact phobia was cured.
- Sevit cheerleading club first school performance also made in the this list, because after their show, they told everyone that Teacher Tae-bum is innocent and did not do any harassment towards his students.
- That episodes when the cheerleading team convince Soo-ah to go back, is really heartwarming. The efforts they made makes me cry, it was really amusing.
- And last but certainly not the least is that in-spite being disbanded as Cheerleading group, Real King and Baek Ho managed to joined the cheer and dance competition and showed the audience what they truly are " I'm cheering for who I am today" and not for anyone or someone else.
MY RATINGS: 7/10
This drama comes with mixed feelings and I like how this drama brings out the real issues of the society that the students face in day to day life. Soo-ah's and her mothers scenario is really happening. It exist! In real life!. Among our society! May it due to peer pressure or the parents itself, children end up taking their life or harming themselves because of pressure and lack of trust. Which leads me to conclusion that this drama gives me lessons on friendship, trust, loyalty, and teamwork.
Have you been watching Sassy Go Go / Cheer Up? What do you think about it? Share your thoughts and leave your comments below! Happy Drama Watching Everyone!!!